Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Losing Weight By Eating Vegan

I have lost 5 pounds in four weeks via my vegan diet. While I am not "fat", I could easily afford to lose 10+ pounds, so I am halfway through my vegan adventure and have lost half the weight I would hope to lose.  That works for me!

I feel great, the food has been good, and I have gotten used to the difficulties of avoiding meat and dairy.  This is an exercise in discipline and planning.  Beyond that it all has come together to be a positive experience.  Most of my friends who thought this was a disaster waiting to happen are pleasantly surprised with my dedication to the vegan diet.

I am working hard to make sure I am getting a variety of types of foods and I think my body has adjusted to my new, although temporary, eating habits.

Which leads me to the big question everyone is wondering: "Will I go back to my old diet after Lent ends?".  Hmmmm, not sure.  I feel so good that I do not want to undermine the health benefits.  Along with skipping the meat and milk... I have to leave many sweets behind, as cakes, cookies, etc... all contain milk and eggs  (I do eat vegan dark chocolate quite often).  Instead I choose fruit for most desserts.

I don't think it is the meat I will avoid after this is over (but I will choose veggie much more often), but instead the dairy.  I have no proof of this, but I have little cravings for the dairy.... and I think that the elimination of the milk products is the reason I feel so good.

The meat on the other hand -- yesterday I was the keynote speaker at a Young Professionals Luncheon in San Marcos, TX.  The meal was catered in from a local BBQ joint.... and the whole meeting room smelled like brisket.  Oh golly did it smell great.  This pretty much proved to me that I will not stay away from meat 100% after Easter!

If I do hit my desired weight I would hate to eat my way back up the scale too quickly, so I must consider my food choices very closely come April 24th.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to you - I feel that dairy is a big culprit. However, while meat may seem less "dangerous," I've not had any meat since 2/14/07 because I didn't want something contaminated sitting in my body for a few days at a time.

    "It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

    ReplyDelete