Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vegan Food Not As Appealing While Camping

My kids and I belong to a group called "Adventure Dads and Kids".  It is a group of dads who take their kids camping each month during the school year to a variety of Texas State Parks.

My daughters and I have participated for four years, and the trips are simple fun with the kids.  We hike, swim, cook-out, and drink a little beer (well, the dads do).

The food is typical camping stock.  Fajitas and hot dogs at dinner.  Eggs, pancakes, and bacon for breakfast.  Always good.... but never even close to vegan.

This weekend I had to bring in my own food.  While I ate veggie hot dogs and granola, I watched the fajitas reach perfection on the grill... topped with the cheese, they were tempting.  Breakfast for the rest of the tribe included bacon.  There is something about bacon cooked while camping that makes it amazing.  My veggie sausages just did not have the same appeal.

The fresh fruit was great, but I must admit that camping was one of the harder parts of the vegan adventure.  I wanted those pancakes really bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment