Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bacon Slipped In

While at a party last night I was encouraged to try the dip.  It was chutney of nuts, raisins, and some other finely chopped ingredients.  I asked my wife and another person who had helped make the dip if it was in line with my vegan diet.... "Yep, you are good!". 

I took a bite... it was good.... and immediately they went "Whoa...... BACON!".

There was not much, and it was an honest mistake.  Thus.... I am not counting this tiny pig ingestion as any type of carnivore failure.

But it is a good reminder that meat and dairy find their way into many items.  To do a vegan diet one must be forever diligent, and not get too upset if something slips in. 

This mishap has educated me to the reality that it must be difficult to live with food allergies.  I don't go into shock if I eat meat or dairy, but those who have real reaction to peanuts and other items must constantly live with the worry of what has found its way into their foods.  I am already reading every label and asking questions at restaurants, etc.... 

The dip did taste very good and I did not taste any bacon (mostly chopped nuts and raisins), so I am going to assume my little scoop was bacon free.  I think all the bacon was congregating on the other side of the bowl.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, I can't eat bacon if I'm a vegan? Guess I'll never be a vegan :)

    ReplyDelete