Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Said Vegan... Not Al Qaeda

While attending a large industry conference I had notified the meeting planner in advance of my vegan meal needs.  Upon arrival at check-in I was given a special blue card and told to give it to my waiter at each meal.

On the first day of the conference I was late getting to the lunch banquet (I was in the hallway networking... is anyone really surprised?).  By the time I found a place to sit the meals were already being served.  I waived down the waiter and showed him my blue placard.

He nodded and said, "Yes, Vegetarian!". 

Whoa.... I pointed out out... "No, Vegan".

The waiter recoiled in horror and backed away slowly.  "VEGAN?.... uhhh????, okay".

The whole table of convention goers burst into laughter.  One person added, "You did say Vegan, not Al Qaeda, right?"

We had a great conversation at our table that day.  Who knew that my dietary choices for the Lent season would be such a great ice breaker!

thom singer



1 comment:

  1. Hey there - I came across your blog while searching for other vegan bloggers. Such a lifestyle change to go from eating meat to 50 days vegan! I'll be checking in on your updates.

    I'm curious what the waiter brought? Lettuce salad? :)

    ReplyDelete