Friday, March 18, 2011

Corned Beef, Irish Stew, Irish Soda Bread - NOPE!

I grew up in a big Irish family.  My mother's parents were both born on the Emerald Isle and they brought the traditions of Ireland, complete with food and drink, to their large American family.  As the youngest of 26 grandchildren I have wonderful memories of St. Patrick's Day, which included Corned Beef, Stews, and Irish Soda Bread.  Eating the family favorite foods was a big part of any holiday.

This year I had to pass on my favorite comfort foods to keep to my vegan diet.  Turns out the Irish eat a lot of boiled meats and put butter and buttermilk in lots of things they cook.

While my wife and daughters ate the stew, I had a vegan vegetable wrap.  It did have avocado and spinach, so I kept the theme of "green" for St. Patty!  No Irish Soda Bread was even made this year.  Bummer.

Being vegan has been a lesson in discipline, but I wake up today and feel good about my being steadfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment