Tuesday, March 22, 2011

No Substitutions

I attended a special dinner for the speakers at a "Users Conference" for a technology company.  They invited all those giving presentations and some other VIP's to a nice restaurant the night before the event.

There was a preset menu with a choice of a fish, beef or chicken entree.  As the waiter described the selections he added "there will be no substitutions allowed".

I never want to be a pain in the butt to anyone in my "vegan quest", so I asked which meal might come with the most vegetables on the plate so I could eat around the meat.  The waiter looked confused, so I announced I was vegan.

HORROR.

He literally ran from the table to check with the chef.  Much like my experience at another conference two weeks earlier, the reaction caused laughter and conversation with my dining partners.

The waiter returned to tell me the chef would prepare a special entree for me.

When the food came, everyone at my table saw my meal and jokingly raised their hands and proclaimed "I'm a vegan too!!!".  WOW.... it looked great and tasted even better.  It was eight vegetables steamed together to make a delightful culinary experience.

No substitutions was morphed to became one heck of a great meal.

I am coming to find that vegan can be done without too much hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment