Thursday, March 3, 2011

"The Vegan Yacht" Makes Eating Vegan More Delicious!

My "Vegan Test Day" on Sunday went so well it has continued for five days.  At this point I think my eating vegan for Lent experiment has started early.  If so, (I could still stumble and eat some cheese), it will turn 40 Days Vegan into 50 Days Vegan. 

Today I ate at "The Vegan Yacht".  Austin, Texas is famous for it's food trailers, and you can find just about any cuisine.... including Vegan.  This find was recommended by someone (cannot recall who, or I would give them their well deserved praise), and I was curious to find another place to eat while on my quest.

"The Vegan Yacht" is located in an empty lot about three blocks east of IH-35 on 6th Street.  The property is now populated by about seven food trailers (buses, carts, Airstreams, etc..) that include a variety of cuisines including eggs, cheese-steakes, Mexican food, ice cream, etc.. 

This trailer of delightfully tasting and healthy vegan choices is run by a couple named Mike and Danielle.  They own and operate the establishment and have no other employees.  I shared with Mike my upcoming vegan commitment and he became my mentor of munchies, my teacher of tempeh, my professor of plant-food passion, and my victor of veggies.  He answered dozens of questions, and cheered me on in my vegan adventure.

I ordered the "Freeto Burrito".  I must admit, the idea of a fake meat and cheese burrito was not that appealing at first thought, but this was one of the best meals I have ever had eating from a food cart anywhere (Yes, the Reindeer Hot Dog at Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs in Denver is still the leader in my food trailer travels).  Delicious does not come close to describing this meal. 

I also had a glass of some fungus tea that Mike promised was micro-biotic and good for digestion.  Hey, why not!  I liked it.  Sort of tasted like beer mixed with 7-Up (but in a good way).

This meat-eater knows he can survive eating vegan as long as "The Vegan Yacht" exists!

No comments:

Post a Comment