Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lambert's BBQ Definitely NOT the Place for a Vegan in Austin

After a business happy hour last night I was invited to join a group of CEO's, CFO's and other friends for dinner. It was a fun group of people, and I wanted to go... but I knew at whatever restaurant selected there might not be a lot of choices for my vegan diet.  This was a group of carnivores!

I have had a rule on while on the "vegan for Lent" adventure to NOT be a pain in the ass to others who are not keeping to my plant based diet.  I just went along with my dinner companions, and did not mention in advance my situation.

We ended up at Lambert's BBQ in downtown Austin.  This place is a local favorite for those who love meat and all the delicious dairy based things that can be served with and near meat (Think Macaroni & Cheese or vegetables floating in butter).  This is NOT the place for vegans.

Fortunately I was not hungry (I had made a stop at Whole Foods before the Happy Hour).  Unfortunately I am having cravings for a really good steak.  Watching the other people eat pork ribs and steaks the size of my head left me wanting Easter to arrive.

I asked the waitress what on the menu I could eat, the only answer was a side of broccoli, that would be special ordered to be cooked in olive oil instead of butter.  While good, it was hardly the experience I had at other restaurants.

The lesson learned..... If BBQ is featured in the name, vegans go hungry.

The good news was it was a very fun evening of conversation with some old friends -- and that is really what matters.  The food looked amazing (I have eaten there before, it is really good!), and I am even more wanting of that steak than I was yesterday!!!

1 comment:

  1. From a purely psychological position, I bet it truly wasn't meat that you craved, but simply the texture and flavor of the meats you came to know and love. Substitution is an easy solution, but no one said substitution is an easy and convenient solution... :)

    ReplyDelete