Friday, April 15, 2011

Eating Gluten Free - In Restaurants and Grocery Stores

My "vegan dining adventure" for Lent has shown me a whole other side of eating.  Having not had many issues with foods or food allergies, I had never put much thought into my food.  With the exception of lobster (which makes me barf three hours after eating), I basically could eat anything I wanted.  If I saw food, I ate it.

Being vegan has taught me about nutrition and ingredients.  I find myself having to read every package and consistently asking questions in restaurants and grocery stores.

This has opened my eyes to what people face who have stronger motivations in keeping to a special diet.  My wife cannot eat anything in the vegetable pepper family (think Bell Peppers).... it wont kill her, but it is not a good thing for her to injest.  My nephew is allergic to peanuts and his parents have had to be diligent about knowing what he is eating.  My father-in-law cannot eat dairy or chocolate.  Others are sensitive to any number of things.

While I have been aware of special diets, having been a "human garbage disposal" has meant it never seemed that hard to monitor everything you eat.  I now am a changed man, it is hard to have a special diet!

In recent years "Gluten" has become a leader in the news of nutrition and what many people need to avoid.  While being vegan does not mean I have to eat "gluten free", I have encountered many vegans and vegetarians who also avoid gluten.

If I thought meat and dairy snuck their way into food... WOW, gluten is everywhere.

I was recently introduced to Triumph Dining.  They publish the largest guides to dining gluten free, and they are a growing company.  They have both a grocery guide and a restaurant guide, and they also sell them in a combo pack.

I wish there were similar guides that were this comprehensive for vegans!  (Maybe there is and I just never found it).

Turns out my favorite burrito at the Vegan Yacht (my favorite food trailer in Austin, TX), The Freeto Burrito, is also gluten free!  That is just an added benefit to this great culinary delight.



No comments:

Post a Comment