Saturday, September 17, 2011

Franklin's BBQ Is Dangerous To Those Wanting To Make Vegan Food Choices

My vegan leaning diet is set aside on the weekends.  Today my wife went and stood in line at Franklin's BBQ (in Austin, Texas) so that we could sample what many call the "BEST BBQ" you can eat (Texas Monthly has named it the best BBQ in Texas, and Bon Appetit has dubbed it the best BBQ in America).  The wait was over two hours to take home a few pounds of meat and sides.

Even on weekends I am careful about eating meat.  While I will have some, I keep my portions small.  But this BBQ from Franklin's made me forget my plant based diet desires.  The brisket was great, the sausage was even better, and the ribs... OH MY GOODNESS!  To know this BBQ exists makes you question being vegan (or "Vegan Leaning").

I will agree with the experts... it is the best BBQ in the world.  It made me want more.  I could easily quit my vegan efforts if I was promised meat that tasted this good with every meal.

However, was it worth a wait in line of two hours?  The survey says "NO".  My wife and kids (who all went to stand in line) said they would not do it again.  I am pretty sure that my patience level would not bring me to multiple hours of standing in line to get smoked meat.  I hear that more people wait in line than there is food available for sale.  I think if I stood there for three hours and they ran out of food I would freak out.

If you are trying to avoid meat.... I suggest you do not go and eat a Franklin's BBQ or you might just decide to try the Atkins Diet instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment