Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lasagna Leaves Me Feeling Blah

Since Lent ended three weeks ago I have remained "Vegan Leaning".  Monday through Friday I try my best to make mostly vegan choices all day long.  On Saturday and Sunday I am on a free-for-all.... but still find my meat and dairy being very limited.  I have especially stayed away from dairy.

Although not 100% (even during the weekdays) my vegan diet choices have continued for the most part.  I still have been feeling great and am happy with the lifestyle choices I have made along the way the last few months.  I will admit on Easter Sunday I felt awful after five slices of bacon, two waffles, and a whole non-vegan brunch (think eggs and dairy) with friends.  Come evening I felt very sluggish.  Since then I have been careful.

Friday night my daughter's Drama Club at school hosted a "Dinner Theater" production.  The meal served was lasagna, bread, salad and homemade brownies.  Even though it was Friday, I decided to go ahead and eat the meal rather than go hungry. There was a lot of cheese in this lasagna, and I should have limited my intake.... but once I started I saw no reason to stop.  I even ate the brownie!

Big mistake.  The rest of the night and most of Saturday morning I felt like crap.  I was not in pain, but I could tell that my digestive track was in flux over the high level of non-vegan food that had been introduced in one setting.  A few bites here and there had not been a problem.... but this meal was over the top.

I had heard that going back to a regular diet after this long vegan would not be easy.  I think I learned my lesson.  Nothing about the meal was really even that good, certainly not worth the way I felt afterwards.

Saturday I returned to my vegan cuisine and was feeling better by the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment